Sunday, September 26, 2010

Higher Taxes For The Rich- Fair?

It goes wihtout saying that the rich pay higher taxes in the United States, they have for quite some time now.  Many people wonder if this is fair and in accordance with the principles the founding fathers had in mind when establishing our government.  Yes, our government relies on the heavier taxes paid by the wealthy, but is it really fair to have a different percentage of income paid to the government from a wealthy person and an individual earning an average or below average income?  Although many would argue that making it easier for those on the bottom to climb to the top is in more conjunction with founding principles than to have same percentage paid by both, this goes against the idea of all men being treated equal by the government.  I personlally believe that by taking more from the wealthy, you are limiting the amount of money and potential that will trickle down to the less wealthy.  By limiting the amount of money the rich have for spending and reinvesting in their buisnesses and/or the market, this inhibits the entire economy and the rate at which it will grow.  I think this generally limits all classes of Americans and the economy.

While there are much more extreme and blunt ways to make our government less just, and some might argue it is not a case of just and uinjust, I do believe that in no way does this idea of higher taxes for the rich promote the founding ideal of equal treatment and duty for and by each cittizen.  In many civilizations throughout history a type of tithe has been the form of taxation by a group of people to their government, this would ensure that all people paid the same percentage of income, the rich still paid a bulkier amount than the poor, but all padi proportianately the same to their income.  In my opionmion this is much more fair to everyone, and would even simplify the tax system.  the rich would sitll give more to government than the poor, but in accordance to the differnence of incomes.  By not punishing the rich for being prosperous and fueling the economy, they would not only have more money to reinvest in the market but they would feel more encouraged to do so, that would in turn trickle down to the less wealthy and the poor.  I feel that a equal tax paid by all classes would promote equality (or at least the feeling of equality), put more money in the market as natural stimulation, and therefore, benefit all classes at the end.

3 comments:

  1. I get what you're saying in that all peoples should pay equal tax percentiles based on their prospective incomes, but I do not understand why the rich should not be forced to pay a little more as they should be the most reliable taxpayers as their income is often secured and reliable. I truly do believe in equality for all, but in order to promote the general welfare we should take advantage of the things we can in our nation, including raising tax rates on the rich, although some might see this as an arguably unfair use of government power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All men are equal say the founding fathers. I thought we listened to them at all times. guess not

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you completely. I think you make compelling statements about what could and could not be down for the American people and their taxes.

    ReplyDelete